Erasmus Data Summit 2021
- This event has passed.
Erasmus Data Summit 2021
15 July 2021 @ 15:00 – 18:00
An afternoon exploring the societal impact of data analytics and AI. Guided by expert practitioners and leading thinkers.
The Erasmus Data Summit 2021 asks a deceptively simple question that has – as yet – no definitive answers: Who is in control of data?
This event is for managers and data scientists, policy makers and public administrators, students, and for anyone who uses or accesses data. The success of opportunities offered by data management depends on effective, efficient and legitimate use of data. The Data Summit will look at the use and control of data and AI in different domains, such as health sciences, finance, business and retail, in city infrastructures, and for individuals.
About the Summit
The Erasmus Data Summit provides a platform for corporations, academia and public institutions to discuss challenges and solutions. In just one afternoon, expert practitioners, academics and thinkers will present examples and use cases from their own fields to show a range of perspectives. For the audience, it offers a comprehensive understanding of today’s challenges for control of data and AI.
- Presentations from keynote speakers
- Inspiring fireside chat sessions
- Roundtable debate about the control of data
Participants can expect to hear more on these topics:
- For data users, how can we merge the best of human‑based decision making with AI-based decision making?
- Are organisations and individuals still in control as society becomes more dependent on the use of data and AI?
- How much data should consumers release in return for services from big tech companies, according to the functions enabled by new inventions in data science?
- How can national and EU regulations on data and AI provide a framework to strengthen control on the use of data and AI?
- Who is in control in the company, the manager or the data scientist?
- To what degree do we feel comfortable to base our decision making on (suggestions by) AI?
- How can we merge the best of human based decision making with AI based decision making?
15:00 – 15:20 Welcome and Opening – Ed Brinksma, President of Erasmus University Rotterdam, Farshida Zafar, Director of ErasmusX & Gerrit Schipper, Executive Director of ECDA
15:20 – 15:40 Human versus algorithm: who is in control? – Prof. Stefano Puntoni, Professor of Marketing at RSM
15:40 – 16:10 Fireside chat – Frank Slootman, CEO of Snowflake, Prof. Pearl Dykstra, Professor of Empirical Sociology at Erasmus University Rotterdam
16:10 – 16:20 Break
16:20 – 16:40 Will Humans Become Borgs? Blending Human and AI Decision Making – Prof. Wolf Ketter, Professor of Next Generation Information Systems at RSM
16:40 – 17:10 Fireside chat – Paul Nemitz, Principal Advisor in the Directorate-General for Justice and Consumers of the European Commission, Prof. Liesbet van Zoonen, Professor of Sociology and Dean of the Erasmus Graduate School of Social Sciences and the Humanities at Erasmus University Rotterdam
17:10 – 17:40 Panel Discussion: Control of data – Miranda Graftdijk, Data Lead at the Dutch Association of Insurers, Prof. Evert Stamhuis, Professor of Law at Erasmus University Rotterdam, Bart Voorn, Head of R&D at Ahold Delhaize & Rick Spaans, Manager of Business Analytics at Gemeente Den Haag, moderated by Farshida Zafar
17:40 – 17:55 Control of data – Prof. Patrick Groenen, Dean of Faculty of Erasmus School of Economics
17:55 – 18:00 Closing Remarks – Farshida Zafar
Research into data analytics
The Erasmus Centre for Data Analytics (ECDA) is the host of the Erasmus Data Summit. ECDA facilitates multi-disciplinary research, hands-on and human centred, that focuses on the societal impact of data and AI. Its impacts include accountability, inclusion, and balancing human- and AI-based decision making.
The Centre is currently developing an infrastructure for data sharing to support multidisciplinary research and hands-on education.